Types of Massage: A guide to find the perfect fit
Updated: May 5
Sometimes it can be confusing when it comes time to choose what type of massage is best for you. With so many types of massage to choose from, how do you know where to start? Here is a quick guide to the various types of massage that are offered at Divine Spark in Richmond Va. Hopefully this list will help you find the best massage and the perfect fit for you.
1) Therapeutic Massage: This treatment uses a variety of techniques and can be used for pain relief and relaxation. The pressure level in a Therapeutic massage session can be adjusted from very light pressure to deep tissue. The therapist will adjust the pressure and will use a variety of techniques based on the desired outcome of the session. Techniques include but are not limited to: Swedish Massage, trigger point therapy, deep tissue massage, NMT (neuromuscular therapy), PNF (proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation), ART (active release technique) sports massage, acupressure, myofascial release and stretching.
2) CBD Massage: During CBD Massage a CBD product is used in conjunction with Therapeutic massage techniques to allow the practitioner to release dense, tight or painful muscles. This is a perfect session for someone with fibromyalgia, chronic pain or for someone recovering from an injury or surgery. We use CBD Clinic™ Professional Series 500mg topical medications which are the first and only non-prescription ointments and creams that combine FDA-approved active ingredients and hemp extract (CBD). Formulated with natural emollients that help the active analgesic ingredients penetrate deep to quickly increase blood flow to joints and muscles and interrupt pain signaling. CBD Massage can also be combined with hot stone massage or Himalayan stone massage for deeper benefits.
3) Thai Massage: This is one of the deepest forms of massage. This is recommended for someone who prefers deeper pressure and deep tissue massage. The Thai massage therapist uses their palms, thumbs, elbows, knees and feet to compress muscles, release the fascia, stimulate acupressure points, and stretch the body allowing it to relax, open, and decompress. Thai Massage is an ancient healing practice that restores balance, relieves pain and encourages health and vitality. Thai Massage therapy promotes deep relaxation within the body and stillness within the mind while helping to alleviate all types of ailments, chronic pain and injuries, leaving you feeling calm, centered and reinvigorated. The Thai method traces and clears ten energy lines, which run along the fascia, covering all muscle groups and organs. During a Thai massage the client is fully clothed so that the massage therapist can take each limb into it's full range of motion (ROM) and applies advanced stretching techniques. The therapist uses deep compression and a variety of techniques to open the fascia and realign the body. This massage is perfect for those who feel tight, are experiencing pain, are recovering from an injury or have limited range of motion.
4) Himalayan Stone Massage: If you like hot stone massage, then you'll love Himalayan stone massage. Himalayan Salt stones are heated to perfection and used to massage sore, fatigued muscles. Himalayan Salt Stones contain 84 naturally occurring minerals that support the body in detoxification, and reducing inflammation. The pressure can be adjusted in this session and it's perfect for getting into tight muscles without discomfort. This is a very nourishing and grounding massage. Himalayan Stone massage can be combined with CBD for deeper pain relief and increased relaxation.
5) Hot Stone Massage: Basalt stones are heated to perfection and are used to massage into tight muscles. The heat allows the tissue to open with ease and can deep tissue can be achieved without discomfort. This type of massage can be done with light to deep pressure. Hot Stone Massage is a wonderful treatment for releasing tight muscles and reducing pain. It is also effective for reducing stress and anxiety. Hot Stone massage can be combined with CBD for deeper pain relief and increased relaxation.
6) Hot Herbal Compress Massage: Thai Herbal massage uses hot herbal compresses that are applied to the body to alleviate pain and inflammation by opening skin pores and transferring medicating heat to the muscles, joints and energy lines. It is a wonderful treatment for sore, achy & stiff muscles and joints. Herbal compress therapy helps to harmonize and relax the body, to loosen energy blockages. Smelling and inhaling the herb-infused vapors also induces deep relaxation. The herbs have a balancing effect on the mind, and help to reduce stress. Using hot compresses on the chest, throat and sinuses can also loosen mucus and open up the nasal passages. The herbs are good for relieving nerve pain, increasing circulation, relaxing muscles, and opening up the sinuses and lungs. The pressure for this type of massage can be adjusted according to your preferences. Deep pressure can be achieved without discomfort.
7) Tok Sen: Tok Sen means to tap the sen or energy lines. The practitioner uses a small mallet and a variety of tools to tap on the energy points and lines (sen) of the body. The deep vibration produced by the wooden instruments along with manual pressure and passive stretches, transform the mind, body and spirit. Tok Sen stimulates the tendons, skin, muscles, circulatory system, nervous system etc. on a physical level. On an energetic level, the tapping opens up blockages and reactivates the free flow of energy throughout the body which in turn reinstates health and well being. This is a wonderful treatment for those with tight fascia and dense muscles. This is an extremely deep tissue massage and is only recommended for those who prefer deep tissue and deep pressure. Bruising may sometimes occur after the session but should subside within 2 weeks.
8) Cupping Therapy: Relieve pain & tension with Cupping therapy. Cupping therapy is an ancient technique, to assist in reducing pain, releasing tight muscles, increasing lymphatic output, as well as improving the immune system’s ability to detoxify the body. Fire is used to evacuate oxygen from the glass cups before they are placed on the body creating a suction. This pulls toxins to the surface as well as cellular debris, poisons, stagnation and excess fluids. These are then eliminated by the lymphatic system. This is a deeper form of massage and is not recommended for those who prefer lighter pressure. Cupping marks are often left after the treatment and will last up to 2 weeks. on the area cupped. This treatment is great for tight, dense muscles.
9) Scraping/IASTM: Scraping or IASTM (instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization) is an effective treatment for reducing pain, breaking up adhesions & scar tissue, releasing knots & trigger points, increasing circulation and improving range of motion.. A tool is pulled across the skin repeatedly, relaxing the fascia and muscle tissues, pulling toxins and stagnant blood to the surface to be released from the body and reducing pain. Although the pressure and technique can be adjusted for the client's comfort, it is still considered a deep tissue massage and is not recommended for those who can only tolerate light pressure. Scraping can cause a red to purple color to the skin that was scraped. This is called Sha and usually disappears within 3 to 12days.
10) Prenatal Massage: Prenatal massage is for expecting mothers after their first trimester. Relieve muscle aches and joint pains with a nurturing prenatal massage. Prenatal massage also assists expecting mothers in reducing anxiety and decreasing symptoms of depression. The massage therapist will perform the massage in a side-lying position and will gently support you with pillows to ensure your comfort during the session. The pressure level is adjusted based on the client's preferences, from light to deep.
11) Massage & Reiki Bliss: Get the best of both worlds! This heavenly session combines Massage & Reiki. Enjoy Therapeutic Massage to relax and relieve pain & tension. In addition, wrap yourself in a warm surrender of Reiki to clear balance your energy centers. Reiki is a form of energy healing. During a Reiki treatment hands are gently placed on the chakras (energy centers) encouraging a healthy energy flow throughout the body. This the perfect treatment for those who would like to receive deep healing in mind, body and spirit. It's uplifting to the spirit and helps to release stagnant energy, revitalizing the whole system. The massage portion of the session can range from light pressure to very deep pressure depending on the preferences of the client and the goals of the session.
We hope that this massage guide has been helpful. If you are still not sure which type of massage is right for you, feel free to contact us with questions.
Interested in checking out our services and pricing? Check out our menu of services
Ready to book? Book now